$500 Scholarships for Deserving Middle School Students
Applications for the 2017 Scholarships Must be Postmarked by June 30th 2017
Do you have, or know of, a middle school music student who could use $500 to further his/her musical studies? If so, please provide the following instructions and application.
Two $500 scholarships will be awarded to students playing an orchestral instrument. The scholarship may be used to pay for such music expenses as music lessons; the purchase, rental, or maintenance of an instrument; or attending a music camp. The winners will be introduced and given their awards at the Beach Cities Symphony’s opening concert in the Fall.
To be eligible, an applicant must be attending a South Bay public, private, or home school (6th, 7th, or 8th grade) at the time of application. Students of all ability levels will be considered.
1. Only South Bay public, private, or home school (6th, 7th, or 8th grade at the time of application) students are eligible.
2. Only orchestral instrument students will be eligible.
3. A recommendation letter from a music teacher (in an envelope sealed by the teacher) must be enclosed with your application. A second letter from a teacher or other adult (not a parent of the applicant) is optional and must be sealed in the same way.
4. Write an essay of between 200 and 300 words, to be typed on a separate page. The essay should include answers to the following: Why are you applying? What are your goals regarding music? What do you hope to accomplish with this scholarship?
5. The application must be postmarked by June 30, 2017.
6. If you are selected as a finalist, you will be asked to appear for an interview/audition at a location and time to be announced later. A piano will be available, but you must provide the accompanist.
7. You may submit a cassette or CD of one or two selections, but it is not required. Include your name, composer’s name(s), and work’s title(s).
8. If you are awarded this scholarship, you must appear for the presentation of the certificate at the Fall 2017, opening concert of the Beach Cities Symphony’s 2017-2018 season.
9. Mail the application and the accompanying items to the address listed in the form.
Copyright © 2016 Beach Cities Symphony Association
The Beach Cities Symphony is a non-profit organization.